Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 3rd Dad update

So...not a lot to report. The staph infection that was in h is head has also gone to his blood. They have changed his pain medication to Fentanyl and Oxycontin.

My mom has been staying up there with him because he literally has no words. Nothing. He can gesture NO with his hands but that is all I saw. Because my mom has been staying there and not going home she asked me to run to her house and grab a few things. Gigi and I went and did that and then went to the hospital.

As we were parking in the garage Gigi pipes up and says, "Hey...why aren't the red guys parking us?" The red guys are the valet parking service at the hospital. They really encourage people to use the valet service because there is not many parking spaces around and due to construction of a new heart hospital it's even tighter. So...how many times do you think that kiddo has been to the hospital lately to know that it's odd for the "red guys" not to park us?

Anyway...we ran up to drop the stuff off for my mom. My dad didn't even really acknowlege that we were there which is really hard. He loves his grandkids and usually just lights up when he sees them. I'm not even sure he knew who I was, let alone who Gigi was :(

My mom took Gigi in search of a treat and I sat there for a few minutes with my dad. He is agitated and frustrated. The man who always has so much to say can't say a damn thing. He will most likely need speech therapy and need to continue with his physical and occupational therapy when he is discharged.

My mom said earlier that it feels like she is on a rollercoaster. I don't feel that way unless the rollercoaster has no uphill and just keeps going down, down, down. Just one week ago my dad was at an airshow watching "the best performance of the Blue Angels" he'd ever seen. Today? He can't even talk.

Cancer sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment