Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lost

Yesterday I blogged about Gigi's drop off at school and was looking forward to coming back last night and posting about what a great day she had. She DID have a great day...but...

They LOST her!!

I went to pick her up at 2:45 (okay fine, I was on that playground at 2:35 anxiously awaiting the door opening).

I waited for her to come out of her designated door and saw her teacher lead her kids out. No Gigi in that pack. Thinking maybe they were split up with a helper I waited and a second and third wave of kids came out. No Gigi. At this point I started thinking maybe I had somehow missed her and scanned the playground and all the other kids and did not see her.

I was trying really hard not to freak out.

I got someone that works at the school and we went in to look in the classroom. No Gigi. I went back out and found her teacher and asked if she had her and was told, "She was with me. She wouldn't have gotten on a bus, would she?" I had never even discussed a bus with her so didn't think so. I then went to the principal and asked if she had seen a little blonde girl in a red dress with white polka dots. I again checked the playground.

I was trying REALLY HARD not to freak out.

Still no Gigi. I went back to the classroom again and then checked the restroom and the class next to Gigi's as well. I was frantic by this time. The gal that was helping me suggested maybe she was in the cafeteria with the after school care program kids. Bingo...there she was waiting in line to get checked in.

Gigi didn't even realize she was lost. It was all I could do to not pick her up and just sob uncontrollably. I did pick her up and hug her and tell her that I was worried about her because she wasn't on the playground. "But someone told me to come with them Mama and I followed them here." Just following directions.

I was still trying really hard not to freak out.

For 15 minutes I did not know where my 5 year old was. This is the first time EVER that I have not known where she was. First time in a new school with new kids and new teachers. I expected the first day to be chaos but I didn't expect my kindergartner to be LOST!!

Today? I'm still trying really hard not to freak out.

I e-mailed the principal and teacher and had a nice talk with the principal - who called me not even 5 minutes after my e-mail hit her inbox. She was sorry and told me that it was a chain of events that happened. I made some suggestions to help prevent this in the future and think that they will at least be discussed if not implemented.

I think I volunteered myself for the PTO too. Not that that's a bad thing - the meetings seem to be held on the evening when Gigi is with her Daddy.

I dropped off some paperwork at church this morning for Gigi and told the whole story to all the ladies there. Gigi's preschool director was there and knows me. She just looked at me and laughed and said, "Only you. This could only happen to you." She's right! I was probably the most nervous parent dropping my kiddo off yesterday and then for her to be lost after school?

Oy.

1 comment: