Thursday, August 12, 2010

New Ink!

It has now been exactly a month since I saw my Dad alive and breathing. He died in the early morning hours of July 13th and I didn't make it back to the hospital to see him alive. I can't believe it's been a MONTH. It feels like hours and yet sometimes it feels like years. I miss him :(

When my dad was diagnosed I got some weird idea that I needed another tattoo. I have two already (A Mickey Mouse head on my toe and a shamrock under my ankle bone). I didn't know what I wanted but I knew something in "honor" of him. Now to know my dad this is funny because my dad HATED tattoos. HATED them. Like passionately.

So I got an idea of what I wanted and really wanted to get it done in June. I put it off telling myself it was something permanent and I should think about it. Then he got sicker. And sicker. Then he died. I knew I had to do it. So here it is. Can't really tell from the picture but it is on the inside of my left ankle below the ankle bone.

Pretty icky because it's pretty fresh. The fish is the traditional Ichthys or Jesus Fish. It is green because that was my Daddy's favorite color. He liked to fish. The blue cross intertwined with it is to represent my Mama. She loves blue and has been not only a pillar of strength but also of faith. Throughout everything that's happened she has reminded me to keep my faith in God. They are intertwined because they are my Mama and my Daddy...united forever.

I love it. I love what it represents. I love that I will be able to look at it and remember my Daddy. And how much he hated tattoos. Sorry Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment