Saturday, October 9, 2010

Good Message

Gigi and I went to church today after a fun filled day.  It's homecoming at my alma mater so we hit the parade this morning (ask her how much candy she got) and then we went to the football game (ask us how wet we got when it started raining and we had walked to the game!).  One of my good friends from college was here along with her husband and parents and it was AWESOME to see them this weekend.  They had made the trek down for the memorial service but it was nice to actually be able to chat and remember our conversations (as I don't remember much about what happened in the week after my Daddy passed away).  I have known these people since I was Gigi's age and they just enveloped us in love this weekend.

We have had unseasonably warm temps here in SoDak and we have taken advantage of that by spending any extra time outside enjoying the sunshine.  I also was sick (strep throat a.k.a. 'school cooties') this week so pardon my weeklong absence.

At church tonight our wonderful Pastor preached on the gospel message of the one leper that returned to thank Jesus for healing.  10 lepers had been healed but only that ONE said thank you.

He told a story of how Satan had a rummage sale.  At this rummage sale he had prices on things such as jealousy, anger and resentment.  The thing that was the highest priced was off to the side and was priced the highest.  That thing?  Discouragement.

Ummmm...it's nice that Pastor Tim's writes his sermons JUST FOR ME, but maybe others could use a message every once in awhile?  Kidding.  I'm kidding...mostly.

You see, if you had talked to me in the last week you would realize just how much Satan has been knocking on my door.  Discouraged I was.  Discouraged I still am but I'm working on it. 

Satan has been talking in my ear about how no one wants me.  No one wants to even interview me.  The intelligent part of me knows that a job will come...eventually.  The intelligent part of me knows that I have a good (GREAT!) resume and the job market just absolutely SUCKS.  The intelligent part of me even knows that I am in fact intelligent. I am not stupid.

Satan has told me that I am not intelligent, that I am not worth anything and that I am not loved.  Satan overtook my brain for a few days with my discouragement. 

You know what?  Screw you Satan.  I will NOT be discouraged anymore.  Disappointed?  Maybe occasionally.  But I WILL count my blessings (and there are MANY) and I will not be discouraged.  There is a song that Gigi learned in bible school based on Joshua 1:9 (I like the NIV translation of this verse the best)

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

And if you are singing the song you add an extra "wherever you go-o" on the end of it. 

And counting my blessings...

*My wonderful neighbors (and friends!).  The Ba's, the Bo's and the Z's have not only been a blessing because of their fantabulous children, but because of the friendships I have made.  I live in a neighborhood where it takes a village and am LUCKY to be here. 

*My church family who knows what I need to hear when I need to hear it.

*My friends that are visiting this weekend.  It may have been a rocky road when we were young - but I adore my Sasa now and can't wait to meet her new little girl!  Her husband is also great and her parents?  My second set while we were in college.

*I am also thankful for the ability to be busy today.  October 9th was my parents wedding anniversary.  My Mama was busy with good friends today and I was busy too.  Didn't lose it until the middle of church when Pastor Tim basically said, "Okay everyone else stop listening and I'm just going to talk to Tisti right now."  (Okay FINE...he didn't actually say that but it sure felt like he should've!)

To be perfectly honest, this post is hard for me to hit publish on.  Growing up I just always believed because that's what I was taught.  Questioning came later, but I don't share my faith with people unless specifically asked.  I'm Lutheran - we're polite and not pushy!  We like potlucks with hotdishes (that'd be casseroles for anyone not from MN, SD, ND or IA). 

I don't like feeling as though I may be judged for professing my faith and "talking" about how much my pastor's message hit me to the core.  I know I have readers that run the gamut from athiest and agnostic to the other end of the spectrum and hope I haven't offended anyone. And now?  I'm doing that people pleasing thing that my therapist says I'm supposed to stop doing!  LOL.

After this busy weekend I'm also very thankful for Native American Day on Monday (what?  You celebrate Columbus Day?  SoDak doesn't.  It's Native American Day here *rolleyes*) and an extra day off on Tuesday for Gigi and I to just chill and play and chill some more.  I've missed my girl while she is at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment